Almost two months ago I was all hyped up for the 2016 presidential election. I had just gotten the Wake Forest Students for Rubio group up and running and was fired up to see how the next few primaries would play out. However, on Super Tuesday, Rubio dropped out of the race. All of a sudden, I was stuck with the lingering question, do I support Donald Trump?

The night before the North Carolina primaries, the Wake the Vote cohort had dinner with Jeff Furman, Chairman of Ben and Jerry’s Board of Directors. I was fortunate to have the incredible opportunity to hear first-hand about how it’s possible to run a successful company that also cares about its impact on the world. However the one thing that still lingers in my mind is what Mr. Furman said about the possibility of compromise between political parties. When asked how he thought Congress could compromise on issues, he responded by asking us what compromise would even be considered, “yelling at each other less than they do now?”

I would like to think that our next President will be someone who will be able to work with both political parties in order to get things done in Washington. But currently, when you turn on the news, it seems as if the candidates are getting more and more polarizing. So what would compromise look like?

While compromise might include less yelling at each other, it also should bring about meaningful solutions. I don’t think we should become disheartened about the 2016 elections because we think that the Federal Government will remain in partisan gridlock forever. Unless one party takes control of the Presidency, House, and Senate, eventually the parties will need to start working together regardless of the election outcome. So with that being said, it seems like more compromising is going to come at some point down the road. It is important that we don’t get bogged down by the apparent divide in parties and use that as an excuse not to vote this coming November. More compromise is on its way. There are just too many issues to be solved for the government to remain in gridlock.

-Carl McPhail