“We owe it to the American people to prevent future atrocities.” This was Illinois Congressman Bob Dold’s response to the fatal mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida. Dold (R) expressed that, “Thoughts and prayers are not enough. It’s time for action.” The whole nation turned to Congress, pleading for gun law reform. Civilians, celebrities, and politicians alike urged Congress to take action and emphasized the importance of bipartisanship in terms of gun laws in order to protect Americans. Dold responded to the Orlando shooting by breaking from his GOP colleagues and advocating for stricter gun control. In his remarks on the House floor following the attack, Congressman Dold stressed the importance of preventing gun violence and driving out bigotry of all kinds in America.

Working for Congressman Bob Dold this summer has been an eye-opening experience for me, to say the least. Serving as an intern for Dold has provided me so many great opportunities to travel around the 10th District of Illinois and meet people from all walks of life. Most of my job consists of phone banking and canvassing throughout the District. Life aboard the Dold tour bus was such a wonderful experience. Over the 4th of July weekend, interns were invited to travel to an Independence Day Parade, followed by several towns’ summer festivals.

13502132_1049132828507171_8365973845271936038_n (2)

The Dold for Congress Tour Bus; This picture was taken at our Intern Olympic Games! My team won 2nd place! 🙂

13494988_1042228082530979_8729226629542010575_n

My whole family at the Libertyville Days parade in Lake County, Illinois!

The best part of my internship with Dold for Congress so far has been the front row seat to how Congressman Dold is putting people before politics. He is always focused on listening carefully and strategizing ways to make sure our concerns in the 10th District of Illinois are addressed at the federal level.  It was fascinating working for Dold though because he is a moderate (one of the few left in Congress) and he doesn’t support Donald Trump. This did not go over well with the conservative communities we were canvassing in. Many constituents call him a “rhino”, yelling that “He better support Trump” in the upcoming election. The problem that I see with that statement however, is that those constituents aren’t thinking about local politics. The policies and projects that will directly impact them stem from their congressmen and congresswomen. 

I am so proud to work for Congressman Dold due to his bipartisanship and leadership in the House this summer. He co-sponsored important gun law legislation that keeps guns away from terrorists while protecting due process. Dold is the first Republican to be endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign. He also serves on the Ways and Means Committee. He focuses on poverty alleviation in areas of the 10th District such as Waukegan, Illinois.  As a co-chair of the Suburban Anti-Heroin Task Force, Dold recently helped pass Lali’s Law on May 12, 2016, a measure to increase access to naloxone, which is a drug that helps restore breathing after a heroine overdose.

He is a proactive and fearless leader. He supports same-sex marriage and equal rights for the LGBTQ community. He was the first Republican to co-sponsor the Equality Act this past January, which added gender identity and sexual orientation into the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As I like to say, “Dold is MY kind of Republican”. As a rising college sophomore at Wake, having experienced campaigns on both sides of the aisle, I consider myself moderate. To have a role model, my own Congressman, exemplify steadfast leadership in the House of Representatives, has been incredible. And when he wins the seat in November again, I will be ecstatic, knowing that my Congressman cares about me and my family personally. He truly puts his people, the citizens of the 10th District, before politics. #SoldonDold #IL10 #PeopleB4Politics 

-DMF

13615457_1051264341627353_9044273476190909961_n (1)

My mom walking in the 4th of July parade with Dold for Congress in Mundelein, Illinois.

13566924_1051264318294022_5943322962617450488_n

My dog, Harley, participated in 3 parades with the Dold for Congress crew this summer!