OUTSIDE THE RNC QUICKEN LOANS ARENA!!!!!!!!!!!! At the public square, and the alleys surrounding the arena.

During the week, I have spent a lot of time outside the arena in the surrounding blocks and the public square.

But, what really goes on outside the RNC?

It deserves an award for the best picture at the Grammy’s. There are women dressed in ridiculous red, white, and blue outfits. There are hundreds of people and countless opportunities to interview fascinating conservatives from all over the country. However, it is hard to interview delegates; the minute you ask them “why are you voting for Donald Trump?” they assume that you are attacking them. I respond, “I’m simply curious,” but it’s too late, they are already attacking me for simply asking the question.

There are men carrying around AR-15s because Ohio has open carry laws. The city spent $20 million on policing, bringing in police forces from Dallas, Indiana and more. Sometimes, there were more police than protesters. Cleveland looked like a police state.

From the Westboro Baptist Church and other anti-gay bible thumpers to the man who think women should not be able to vote to t-shirts reading “Hillary for Prison,” “Bomb the shit out of ISIS,” “Hillary sucks more than Monica,” there are countless episodes of hate and anger outside of the RNC Quicken Loans Arena. Individuals fail to acknowledge the humanity of people walking past you. Instead, they yell at you for accidently running into them in a crowded ally, or confess to you that they don’t think women should be able to vote, or yell at the top of their lungs, “this is the perfect place for a terrorist to bomb everyone.”

Although many of the people downtown are Trump supporters, I’d like to note that this shows how divisive our country is. This is what I hate about this election and what I hope Trump and other leaders have realized what their impact to this country is. He has made it acceptable for David Duke, a former KKK leader, to run for U.S. Senate. He has made it acceptable for hate to circulate between strangers and validated people who think that it is okay to yell “all lives matter” during a “black lives matter” protest or believe that “Muslims should go to hell.”

That being said, people who know me, know that I love to people watch. I have really enjoyed people watching and interacting with people who do not have the same opinions as me. It has taught me a lot about where people come from and how they are out of touch with the demographics of this population.

I could sit at the public square outside the Quicken Loans Arena all day long, just watching.

• Hannah K. Dobie