I am a little apprehensive about the RNC but very excited to be back together with the Wake the Vote crew. Our travels across the nation have been exciting, enriching and truly exposed me to new ideas and worldviews. I am confident that the RNC will be no different. Throughout this process I held fast to the belief that the American people are better than Donald Trump. With each primary state I grew more and more concerned. Still, I could not truly believe that he is who the Republican party would choose to be their standard bearer. In New Hampshire we attended a Trump rally and I finally began to accept that this was that the people had chosen. This realization hit me hard. It made me angry, frustrated, and really truly sad. Mr. Trump embodies so much that is wrong in our world and our country. He is preceded in history by a long line of hate filled fear mongers that reject diversity and turn inwards when faced with challenges. Mr. Trump is only one man but the people who have chosen him are the ones that really scare me. Our young country has gone through a lot in our short history and I am confident that Mr. Trump is just another small man who preys upon the worst of humanity. He is not the first and he will not be the last. The people he represents are who really upset me. They are afraid, they are scared of what they do not know and do not understand. Still, they are my fellow Americans. They have a voice and they are using it. I am looking forward to better understanding these people through our RNC experience. As FDR once said “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Now I think I know what he meant.

-Sophia Rossell

Blog 1