Thank you Wake the Vote for the incredible opportunity to go inside the Democratic National Convention tonight! I was inspired by the wisdom, charisma and knowledge of the women that spoke on the main stage including former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and the Mothers of the Movement.

Ever since I was a little girl, I knew I had a passion for public service, which was then strengthened in high school with the help of my outstanding social studies teachers Mrs. Bonadies & Mr. Thomas Kuhn. My amazing economics teacher at Mundelein High School, Mr. Hirshman, invested in the creativity and intelligence of young women and helped me to show the documentary, Raising Ms. President, to my peers! That is when my passion for government and politics became more prevalent.

Tonight, July 26th, is a night I will never forget. History was made. I will be able to share that I was present in that arena the day that Hillary Clinton became the first woman in United States history to lead a major-party ticket! Increasing the number of women involved in politics/the political process is a SUPER important initiative. Especially embracing and welcoming in the strong, unique voices of women of color! I am truly blessed. The energy tonight was electric. Whether it was Lena Dunham, America Ferrera, or former president Bill Clinton speaking, each person up on that stage instilled a sense of hope and faith in me and the rest of the crowd. I am sure that we will elect the first woman president in the history of the United States in November!

-DMF