Reflecting on my experiences at Wake Forest University so far, and specifically my journey through Wake the Vote, I have come to the realization that as a generation, we are moving towards an inclusive, intercultural period of history. This is of course super important when it comes to thinking about the political process and how American politics in general will shift to meet those changes toward inclusivity and multifaceted identities.

Regardless of whether Wake the Vote is attending a Democratic or Republican event, this notion of multiple identities and the intersectionality between an individual’s nationality, life experiences, race, gender, and sexual orientation, are present and increasingly prevalent.

As a Wake the Vote cohort and as a part of the Pro Humanitate Institute’s programming, social justice frequently arises in conversation. Having these important conversations about race, class, and background are crucial in learning about new cultures, as well as forming long-lasting relationships.

Being a part of the Wake the Vote cohort has provided me with so many fantastic opportunties to develop skills in intercultural communication, how to serve as a supportive and effective mentor, and how to serve as a leader on campus and in my community. I believe that there needs to be a greater emphasis in American politics, especially within the Republican Party, in intercultural knowledge and competency. This would not only benefit politicians and their staff members, but more importantly, would allow these leaders to adequately represent the values and beliefs of their diverse constituents, which would in turn help the government to hopefully run in a smoother fashion.

-Daniella Maria Feijoo