With the election RIGHT around the corner, and I mean right around the corner in 5 days, I am ready for it to be over. But in the past few weeks as this political climate just gets more and more clouded within the media realm there are phrases/rhetoric I have heard more and more.

“I am a political junkie”

“I am addicted to politics…”

“My daily fix of politics”

I get it, people love the politics the media portrays. People love to watch the drama unfold and watch the theatrics of it. This is a mess and a blog post within itself but what I more so see wrong or rather what makes me uneasy with this diction is the reference towards addiction.

“Fix”

“Addicted”

“Junkie”

I hate these words because addiction is something real to me and my life. My family has suffered deeply from addiction and its effects on our socioeconomic status so when I hear people claim they “NEED” their daily fix of politics, it makes me uneasy.  I have seen from my parents what addiction is and how it changes people. I have seen people called my parents awful terms like “junkie” so when I hear people calling themselves it in a joking sense, it makes me cringe. This idea of people’s extreme love and fascination with politics shouldn’t convert to this parallel with addiction in rhetoric.

Addiction isn’t something that should be joked off or used so casually when people suffer from addiction (substances, practices, etc) and their addiction changes their lives for the worse or in many cases results in the end of their lives.

Your “addiction” to politics won’t result in you not being able to pay your rent or buy food for the day.

But I was homeless and had no food countless days because of my parent’s addiction to heroin.

Your lack of getting your “daily fix” won’t result in you stealing from a store.

But my parents did steal food for me.

Your lack of “using” won’t get you throw in jail.

But it did get my parents thrown in jail.

You being a political junkie doesn’t have the possibility with you “overdosing”

-David Ajamy II